Friday, March 03, 2006

Operation Bobby Slim Down

So over the last year plus I have been really involved in some business ventures that have been stretching me beyond the normal 40 hour work week. In addition, the extracurricular business activity has put me on the road quite a bit (let's just say Wendy, Ronald, The King and The Bell have been making some dough off of me.) Throw in the fact that my wife just went through the whole 9 month pregnancy deal featuring me as the sympathy eater, and you've got a guy who went from trying to train to participate in bodybuilding competitively to a guy who is weighing almost 270lb., but not the way I originally intended. Approaching 270 has always been my limit when it comes to me being out of shape. I don't know why, but I start to wig out when I get to 260+. Last time it happened, I dumped over 55 pounds in 6 months. Usually I get sucked out of the gym from injury or some other short term issue, but the business venture I'm involved in is long term, and this time I have freaked out to the point of fearing that I wouldn't have the time or discipline to lean out again.

Well, I got on a scale last weekend after playing basketball (amazingly, I still get up and down the court better than some guys who appear to be in better shape,) and the digital doesn't lie: 268.8lb. "Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson!!! *Cue the flashing red sirens and annoying horns*

The choices I had were simple. I could somehow, between a 40 hour job, baby to entertain, wife to love, and business to run try and squeeze out another 2 hours that it would take to get to, change, workout, shower and return from the gym; or I could drop the carbohydrates right out of my diet like I have done in the past, go with a simple exercise plan that I can do at home and load up on the fat-burners. I'll take option 2 please.

So, Operation: Bobby Slim Down has begun. Thank goodness for the development of will power and goal setting because other than a colleague at my j.o.b., no one I know is on a diet similar to mine. That means rolling through the Starbucks drive-thru to get my wife a Cinnamon Dolce Frappucino while I get nothing and eschewing the copious amounts of pasta that my mother-in-law likes to cook. In addition, I don't mind taking pills, so the CLA and ephedra (it's no longer banned, save the e-mails) will hopefully aid in the process.

Being on a low-carb diet is always fun when out ordering food. I was at a McDonald's between Chicago and Champaign this past Saturday and ordered a couple of double cheeseburgers with no buns. Kid you not, the girl at the counter looks at me straight-faced and says, "So, no buns whatsoever?" I just looked at her and said, "I don't even know how to answer you so that you'll understand what I want." I mean, how else can someone mean "no buns?" Luckily we solved the issue without the issue escalating to her assistant manager.

As with my auto show updates, look for me to lackadaisically keep you posted with no rhyme or reason as to when the next update will come.

No comments: