Monday, February 27, 2006

Oh, was that the Olympics?

(Disclaimer: I normally add picture links, but I'm so far behind, I need to just get some stinking blogs out, you know? On that note...)

From what I understand, ratings for the Winter Olympics were down again in the U.S. and no one seems to know why. Really? You don't know why people aren't watching the Winter Olympics? Hmm, on your way to work, how many parks do you pass where people are just luging away? Are there many ski jump hills near your house? I'm going to take a wild stab and say that no, no there are not. To me, more than anything else, the winter Games are an observation of sports of priveledge. Honestly, I didn't even know four Americans could tell me how to score in curling, better yet compete for a medal. Really though, look at the difference between the Summer Olympics and the Winter Olympics. Track & field, basketball, baseball, swimming, diving - you can do all this without having to have a dollar. They're basic sports anyone can participate in, and become a fan of. Bobsled, luge, and ice dancing are not. People actually watch the track & field and swimming trials to even get to the Olympics in this Country. I only see curling during the two week span of the winter Games. I don't even know how you get involved with a bobsled team.

Well, at least the U.S. managed to bag a big medal total. However, all I heard about was how disappointing an Olympics this was because we didn't do as well as was expected. Okay, we got what, the second biggest medal total in the winter Games ever? Who cares if Sasha Cohen didn't get a gold medal? He's funny enough doing the "Borat" gimmick. Besides, I didn't even know he could skate. Oh, not that Sasha Cohen? My bad.

Regardless, we had some classic U.S. moments - the skiboarding chick that hot-dogged it and lost because of it, Bode Miller (whose name is nowhere near as cool as Picabo Street, btw) fulfilling his "all talk and no action" requirement by not medaling at all, Shanni Davis failing to grasp the value of his accomplishment because being a jerk was more his style, and Apollo Anton Anti Aircraft Abracadabra Alcatraz Alabastar Ohno coming off as the "American Sweetheart" hero. Wow, can't wait till Vancouver in 2010. I'll see you on the curling lanes ...

No comments: