Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Auto Show is Here!!! (Part one of a multi-part series)

Anyone that knows me (and frankly, if you're reading this and you don't know me - what are you doing here? How did you find me?) knows that I am a car fanatic. I couldn't fix one to save my life, but I know the difference between horsepower and torque, why RWD is better than FWD, who makes the Vectra (Opel,) how many current rebadges of the Trailblazer exist and why GM's corporate strategy stinks. In other words, everything but how to fix them. Anyway, last weekend the Chicago Auto Show returned to town and yours truly became a giddy school boy again.

The Auto Show to me, is a "hope-springs-eternal" event. Yes, transportation to some people can be very basic - they generally drive Impala's and Ford Five-Hundred's, but to others, the vehicle they travel in is an extension of themselves; a statement or identity if you will. I see the Auto Show as the continued quest for the perfect car. What's great is that, because there are new technical innovations year in and year out, and new cars are brought to market at different times, their are endless possibilities to see the perfect car brought to market. The thing is, I don't know if the perfect car is possible. A car's look is either to plain or too avant garde. The ride is either too soft or too bumpy. The ergonomics are either too inviting or too space age. Pick up MotorTrend Magazine- they seem to find 3 "highs" and 3 "lows" for every car they review. Still, there are always cars that come close. The Chrysler 300 was one a couple of years ago. The 6 series BMW was polarizing but another candidate. The G35 Coupe still gets stares.

Realizing I have few different topics I'd like to discuss about the Auto Show, I think I'll multi-part this out, and maybe add some key pics throughout the week. So you understand the depths of my depravity, I was at show on Saturday (the first day open to the public of course) and spent 6 hours just covering the lower end models. Stay tuned.

No comments: