Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It's Not Just The Money

"Yeah right! Sure it's not." That's the reaction I have sometimes gotten from friends and other people that don't understand why I'm so dedicated and bold when it comes to making my business work. What's funny is that I spend probably 20-25 hours a week trying to build a business that will allow me to retire in my early 30's (by 32 is the goal - I'm 30 now,) and yes, if you add that to the 40 hours I put in at my day job, it's about 60-65 hours per week. However, when I reach my goal, the 40 hours will disappear and I'll probably spend 15-20 hours in my business for a few more years until I can whittle that down to about 10. At that same time, the people making the "just doing it for the money" claim will still be chasing a dollar bill working 40, 50, or even 60+ hours a week. Who is doing what for the money? My income will be completely passive in my early 30's. It doesn't make them bad people, or dumb, or losers. It just makes them misinformed or unwilling, and that is okay.

Don't get me wrong, I like toys. I like nice houses with gadgets. Theater rooms are sweet. The sound of a Lamborghini engine is nice and I plan to enjoy all of that stuff. But gadgets can only get so gimmicky. The cars can only get so fast (without me putting them into a wall.) Steaks can only get so good (which I may be open for debate on.) Jewelry can only get so shiny and big (before it looks gaudy.) All the stuff is nice but I know people that have "stuff" whose lives are empty. I've driven past houses in affluent suburbs at night and seen that no one is home. You can keep all that stuff if I can just have the rest of my life with my wife and daughter (and future kids,) spending as much time as I choose with them without having to think about money.

I remember hearing a CD where the speaker was talking about the fact that his mentor hasn't balanced his checkbook in 10 years. What a thought! I'm not a big fan of money in and of itself. But to me, money can be like a scalpel. It can do good and it can do evil depending on whose hands you put it in. It's just a tool. I'm eager to just get to the point where it doesn't dictate every facet of my life.

I'm much more excited to see the positive changes that have come into my life due to the business I'm involved in. I'm more excited about my wife changing as well as the people I'm helping. It's fulfillment with a financial reward as the kicker, not a financial reward hoping that it brings fulfillment.

No comments: