Monday, December 25, 2006

Staying Steady Through The Holidays

Ahh, the holidays. For many it's the perfect time to take that much needed break, and wind down with egg nog, Christmas cookies, and way too much food. Well, not so much if you want to keep some momentum going in your business. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't necessarily out conducting business on Christams Eve nor will I today, but in a business built on relationships, this is the time when maintaining and furthering those relationships can really come into play.

Everyone is with their family at Christmas time. It's a "spend time with the family" day. People expect to hear from those that are either family, or very much like it today. That's why spending an hour or two to jump on the phone with each of the people I'm working with is so vital. When I start working with people, I can't guarantee that they will be with me forever, but I expect people to want to take what we do the full way. As such, I expect to have long term relationships with them. I expect my kid(s) to play with their kids (when most of them have kids someday.) So as much as I am not always enamored with making phone calls, I get excited about today. Some of these guys, I've just started helping and working with. Some, I've been around for months.

It's also a great time to call people that we worked with at one point who may have decided to choose a different path for their future. I've always been taught to be an ambassador when it comes to my business. You always want to leave the door open for anyone whose dream may have been derailed for whatever reason. You can't make winners win and you can't make quitters quit, but you can welcome back a former quitter that wants to win now.

All in all, I am going to be out and about today. I was for a short while yesterday also. It's never a bad time to bring up a worthwhile business. I mean, at the end of the day, why would I want to shut the doors on my store?

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: