Thursday, December 15, 2005

"Cash for nothin' and Kong for free"


Nothing like titling a post with a Dire Straits reference, huh? At least it's somewhat relevant. I know I mentioned that I've seen some movies for free lately and the story would be forthcoming. I hate waiting in suspense and since I know that my enormous readership currently is - it's time to share.

So the Sunday before Thanksgiving, the Mrs. and I decided to go see the Goblet of Fire playing at the local theater which, according to the movie section in the paper, was at 10:15pm. Now, I usually check online as opposed to the newspaper or I call Moviefone (I actually have the number in my 'contacts' - yep, I'm still that nerd,) but for some reason I was content with the paper info. Thank goodness, because if I had checked another source, the events to follow woudn't have happened. Moral of the story? Turn off your computer. Not yet though - finish this first.

My wife is bringing Angela Elizabeth into the world in January, so at about 10:05 I drop her off at the front door to limit her walking time in the cold (and so she could get the tickets.) I get inside, buy her a kids pack and me a large cola and proceed to theater 9 where we find out that the movie started at 9:15 and not 10:15. Check the tickets; they say 9:15. We go to the ticket counter and they tell us that there isn't a 10:15 show on Sunday. Now, my first response is to find the person that sold my wife tickets for a show that started 45 minutes earlier without even mentioning that fact to her, but I've been working on my people skills so my question for the manager was simply, "What are you going to do to take care of us?" She offered to stamp our stubs with a "complimentary readmission" stamp, to which we agreed, ableit $10 worth of 2 drinks and a thimble of popcorn later.

Thanksgiving night comes around and we have a tradition in my family of going to see a movie on holidays, so she and I again make the trek out to try Potter again (I checked online first.) When we got to the ticket taker, she merely looked at the stamp on the stub, and said, "no problem, go on in." What she didn't do was take the stubs with the "complimentary readmission" stamp from us. While in line for another $10 2-colas-and-a-kernel special I told Donna to hold onto her stub. When she realized why I said so, a big grin came across her face.

Understand, we have not seen a lot of movies in the theater lately and I am obviously a movie geek. I have been so tied up with working on my business and delayed gratification that movies have been on the back burner. However, when Friday night rolled around with heavy snow and my business was pretty much done for the day, a call was placed home: "Hon, wanna go see 'Walk The Line' tonight?" So back out we went to the theater where, you guessed it, they failed to take our stubs again!

At this point, we are fired up! "How long is this going to go on?" "How many big movies are we going to see?" You see, we didn't have to worry if a movie was sold out - our stub says "one complimentary readmission" and although the stub is for Harry Potter, we are not required to use it for that movie. It's just a theater readmit. This past Sunday, late night, we went and saw Chronicles of Narnia and once again, the stubs were not taken!!! If you don't like movies and don't care - just go away. Otherwise you will appreciate how awesome this is. When the time comes that this doesn't work, we won't even care - we've gotten more than our money's worth already. For the record though, King Kong opened yesterday and I know a late Sunday is coming!

No comments: