Thursday, December 29, 2005

Know How I Know You're Gay? You Spent Money on Brokeback Mountain

Not sure if I can deliver an actual post that can expound on that title (thanks to "40 Year Old Virgin" for a wonderful new game, btw.) Honestly, if you're a real-life heterosexual male, I would be confounded as to how you would willingly put $6-$10 on a counter and let the words "one for Brokeback Mountain, please," fall out of your mouth. If you're a woman or homosexual male, I can understand and even expect you to lead the charge in attempting to make this movie successful. Why homosexual men want this movie to succeed is evident. It's two top level male actors playing gay in a serious box office effort with Oscar implications. But I can only believe this has Oscar implications because it's two top level male actors playing gay in a serious box office effort. Hollywood loves crap like that. So naturally, the hope that Heath and Jake will further the efforts to make homosexuality an accepted norm are big.

Women I can understand, but to a lesser extent. Obviously Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger are attractive to women. But ladies, they're into each other in this movie. They aren't being suave, manly men. They're fulfilling the "cowboy" quotient of the Village People. What's worse is, from at least what I've seen in previews and synopsis, their affair carries on while they are married to women. So ladies, not only are they into each other, but they are screwing over women in the flick as well.

This movie will definitely receive a lot of Oscar push and honestly, I think it will deserve it. Why? Because I think I would be Oscar-worthy if I could get through a whole filming schedule playing a homosexual without either punching my co-star so hard that I got fired or looking so gaunt from throwing up daily that two weeks in, they would have to replace me. Don't get confused, that's not a bash on homosexuality. I'm sure some gay men think the same way about playing straight men roles in movies. Right Tom?

1 comment:

Footprint said...

for the gaunt link i think you should've use Kate Moss. But interesting article nonetheless.